Notice: The page exists to bring files and directions from a wide variety of sites to a single page for the purposes of getting graphing working in SPSS / PASW for Mac. It comes with NO WARRENTY whatsoever, though it should be noted that these directions have been followed many times without any reported problems. Any problems you do encounter should be directed to the helpdesk at your institution or IBM /SPSS directly (http://support.spss.com/).
Before you can begin working on the graphing issue, SPSS must be up to date from base version 18 to version 18.0.3 via this free patch. After the patch downloads:
- Log in as the same user that installed the Statistics 18 product.
- Ensure that Statistics 18 is not running.
- Execute the PASW Statistics 18.0.3 Patch installer from the downloaded .dmg file.
- Statistics 18.0.3 is ready to run. Use the About PASW Statistics 18 menu to verify 18.0.3 is the installed version.
Once you have verified that SPSS is up to version 18.0.3 you can download the free 184.108.40.206 Hotfix. Once the file is downloaded:
- Extract the contents of the compressed file to your local desktop.
- Make sure that all instances of Statistics 18 are closed.
- Click on Finder > Applications > SPSSinc > PASWStatistics18.
- In the Stats 18 folder, hold down the ‘CONTROL’ button of your keyboard and ‘CLICK’ on the PASWStatistics18.0.app icon. This will bring up a submenu with an option ‘Show Package Contents’. Click on this option to bring up a new window.
- In the new window, navigate to: Contents > lib folder.
- Copy the downloaded hotfix file ‘libspssjvm.dylib’ from your desktop to to this /lib folder.
- Restart Statistics 18.0 and your problem should now be resolved.